To submit to Big Lucks, please visit our Submittable page.
We realize that for some, the submission process can be a rather daunting and disengaging experience. Our goal at Big Lucks is to be as helpful and accommodating editors as humanly possible. To make things easy for all of us, please adhere to the following general guidelines:
- All submissions will be considered for both online and print publication. If you would prefer not to see your work online, please say so in your cover letter.
- Please be sure to proofread your work. Really. Read it out loud. Trust us.
- Include your name, e-mail address and a short 3rd person biography (50-75 words) in your cover letter.
- Please do not include your name anywhere on the document, as we prefer to read submissions blind.
- As writers ourselves, we not only welcome simultaneous submissions but encourage it. That being said, we do ask that you let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere.
- Big Lucks retains First Serial rights to publish the accepted material. After publication, all rights revert back to the author.
- We are not a paying market; we do, however, provide contributor’s copies.
We encourage risk-taking. We advocate invention. Although we prefer fiction and non-fiction that is conceptual and experimental in form, content, and/or subject matter, we are equally adept to appreciate the strengths of genre work. Our only requirement is that your work change our lives.
“What differentiates a great poet from a not-great one is the capacity to exist in that uncertain space, where the grand external world (which means anything and everything) folds into the intense internal world of the individual. In this moment, the issues of the self become one with the universal. In a poem, the poet makes beautiful this great love affair between the self and the universal.”
-Dorothea Lasky, “Poetry is Not A Project”